Suggestion: Add contact entry to whois

Phil Howard phil at whistler.intur.net
Fri Feb 26 17:39:56 UTC 1999

Owen DeLong wrote:

> We already have Admin, Tech, and Billing.  Would it be possible to consider
> the addition of an Abuse contact in whois?

The existing contacts serve that function.  If someone at some place is
smurfing you, you don't want to talk to some secretary who is going to
stick a post-it on some manager's door about it.  You want the NOC and
you want the person in the NOC who can initiate immediate investigation
and correct the problem.  Well, at least I do.

Define "abuse".  It comes in a lot of categories, anyway.  Which category
do you think an abuse contact should be getting them for?  Smurf?  Flood?
Spam?  Bad BGP?  Hacking?

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --