FW: FCC rules ISP calls are long-distance in nature

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Fri Feb 26 05:27:02 UTC 1999

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, James D. Wilson wrote:

> FCC rules ISP calls are long-distance in nature
>
> By Nancy Weil InfoWorld Electric
>
> The ruling overturns state decisions holding that dial-up calls to the
> Internet are local. The decision also could mean that local phone companies

Actually that is not correct, the FCC did say that they think that ISP
calls are interstate (they are crazy), but the above is not true. The FCC
did not take away power from the states that have ruled on this issue,
they also said that this finding will NOT affect any current agreements. I
had 3 of my CLEC customers sign agreements this week, so they are happy
about that part. :-)

I was not sure if I should make this post, but I did so because the
information was not correct. Any further post on this issue should be
taken up on list more suited to this topic. You may want to check out
my CLECLIST is found at http://www.robotics.net/clec/cleclist.html or
other lists where this topic is being discussed.

Anyway, I think this is a major event and something that ISPs need to look
at, but it is not a operational issue.