transit across the ixs

Alex Bligh amb at gxn.net
Mon Feb 15 09:34:52 UTC 1999

> you might be amused to write a bit of code to see if your ix peers are
> giving you next-hops of other provider(s).  it is clear that a number of
> providers are selling transit across the ixs.  not at all cool.
>
> we can't decide whether to force next hop on their routes, or keep watching
> and de-peer them if they do not cease and desist.  what do others do in this
> circumstance?

Note some people are:
a) Selling/Giving transit (often backup) *but* setting next-hop (much less
   bad if bad at all)
b) Setting next hop to other routers also owned by them (nothing wrong with
   this). I think one major MAE user is doing this to work around HOL blocking.

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)