transit across the ixs

Pete Kruckenberg pete at kruckenberg.com
Mon Feb 15 01:56:03 UTC 1999

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

> you might be amused to write a bit of code to see if
> your ix peers are giving you next-hops of other
> provider(s).  it is clear that a number of providers are
> selling transit across the ixs.  not at all cool.
>
> we can't decide whether to force next hop on their
> routes, or keep watching and de-peer them if they do not
> cease and desist.  what do others do in this
> circumstance?

I'm aware of at least one fairly major backbone who does
this (at least they used to).

What's the issue with this anyways? I mean, at least
superficially it's basically the same traffic. I can see
that there would be some issues with how the traffic
transitions the ixs, which may or may not be a problem.

Pete.