Discussing, or not discussing, major business outages

I Am Not An Isp patrick at ianai.net
Tue Feb 9 20:30:54 UTC 1999

At 11:24 AM 2/9/99 -0600, Phil Howard wrote:

>If an ISP is so far gone that they have to actually turn off the
>equipment and thus they cease to function, then I believe that what
>more damage could be done _MAY_ be less than the need for the rest
>of us to know they have gone belly up.

I guess that's where we differ.  What "more damage" can be done cannot be
accurately assessed by us.  And yes, I agree that - from an operational
standpoint - the rest of us have some "need" (if that is the right word) to
know a network is about to be, or just has been shut down.  However, since
we cannot accurately assess the costs to that network's employees,
creditors, customers, etc., the people *directly* involved have to assess
that and decide when it is time to go public.  Yes, they may keep it in
longer than necessary, but our nebulous "need to know" how other networks
on the 'Net are doing cannot possibly compare to their business, personal
and other needs.  IMHO. :p

Oh, and you'd be surprised what can be done at the 11th hour.  I know I was.

TTFN,
patrick

I Am Not An Isp
www.ianai.net
ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle