Maintenance modems and power failures

Bryan Bradsby Bryan.Bradsby at capnet.state.tx.us
Fri Feb 12 14:52:31 UTC 1999

At 01:14 AM 2/12/99 -0500, Joseph Lapolito wrote:
> We have been using a DC powered 28.8 modem made by
> a company called WTI.
> It is basically a USR modem ripped open put into a rack mount
> chassis and converted to take a .25amp DC feed.

Or you could find someone in your organization handy with a soldering
iron and follow this basic recipe -

 Cut the transformer off your modem power cord.
 Connect reliable -48 VDC to a fuse, resistor and zener diode.

This is not rocket science, but observe proper voltage and power rating
on the zener, wattage and value for the resistor, and polarity on the DC
feed into the modem, and ground isolation on the selected modem.

Or you could battery backup the main power to the building, with automatic
switch over to redundant diesels.  Works nice at HQ, a little pricy for
remote sites. Your choice.

-bryan
                    CapNet / Tex-an Network
 Texas Government and Educational Network         NOC: 512-475-2432
 a facility based Network Service Provider        fax: 512-463-3456