ORBS block

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sat Dec 18 19:52:35 UTC 1999

At 11:47 AM 12/18/99 -0800, I Am Not An Isp wrote:
> >Perhaps you should re-read RFC 1123 #5.2.5, keeping in mind that it is
> >within my right as the owner of the system in question to ignore any
> >given part of an RFC where I deem it necessary to do so.
>
>I find it amusing Mr. Woods believes he can do as he pleases with his mail
>server, but network operators are not allowed to do as they please with
>their networks.

I think (as I interpret the discussion) it is this way:

Anyone can do whatever he wants with his/her mail server.

The Network Operator can do whatever he wants with his network, BUT if the
network provider has downstream customers, paying for internet
connectivity, and the operator filters out part of that connectivity, then
the operator has voided the contract (by filtering out a portion of the
network the downstream may consider "important") in a manner that allows
the downstream to bail out of any such contract. (I think such a filter
could be considered "materially altering the service provided" although IANAL).

I think that's the gist of things from what I've seen...