Portable IP space, isolated networks, BGP, etc... (fwd)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Fri Dec 10 12:21:37 UTC 1999

	It is possible to use a single ASN to do this, without
meshing them.

	Here's how:

	1) You can not run your bgp speakers in a default-free environment.

	2) You must point default at your upstream(s) in each location.

	3) Because you are using the same ASN, bgp will drop the
announcement from your other side once it sees it, to prevent
a 'routing loop'.

	4) You can not have any bgp downstreams and have this work
properly.

	5) This would be a higly fragile environment, and is not recommended,
but technically is possible.

	- Jared