Portable IP space, isolated networks, BGP, etc... (fwd)

Daniel Golding dgolding at mindspring.net
Fri Dec 10 01:49:52 UTC 1999

Tim,

It's not necessary to mesh your BGP speakers - only a good idea. As long
as you don't care about sharing routing information (or even getting
decent routing), this will still work. I did it at my last ISP, and it
worked like a charm.

I don't think he can possibly establish a full iBGP mesh without either
having direct connectivity or using tunnels. As long as he just meshes the
routers in the same site, and uses seperate address space at each site,
he's fine.

This even works if you have some of the same upstreams in different sites
- I did it with both Digex and Sprint. (And I was only advertising /23s in
some cases...). I even did it with one site having Verio as an upstream.

Daniel L. Golding        *  Senior Network Engineer
Network Engineering      *  Mindspring Enterprises
dgolding at mindspring.net  *