A call for the future. Was: Re: Verio Decides what parts ofthe internet to drop

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Wed Dec 8 20:01:32 UTC 1999

	Dean, This is where you are showing the wrong things.

	You seem to be rambling on a variety of topics way off from the
problem.

	Problem: People trying to announce the improper class (or classless)
address out of the "classical classful space".

	Primarily the people who a large number of the inital /16's were
assigned to were universities, and the larger businesses.

	These days the people who obtained large quantities of this space
who have no use for it see a chance to make a profit off of it by "leasing"
it to another person, or the outright sale of the company, or some
semi-existant division of the company where the sale of the address space
goes along with it.

	All I have to say is "Let the buyer beware".

	Not everyone uses the same filtering policies, but the majority of
the tier-1 providers do.  You are not in this boat of supporting this, nor
really running these types of environments in your day-to-day operations.

	Although adding memory and cpu, along with a non-caching routing
solution (such as CEF, or any type of '100% cache hit' routing system)
will make the ability to forward packets faster.

	The problem is that we do not have direct control over what the
vendors hand us in the backbone environment.

	If I wish to take an OC12 and do policy based routing on EVERY
packet that goes across it, it is not possible with the cpu power that
is put on there.  This is what the majority of people are using these days.

	On the smaller ds(N) sized networks, it is more possible because
of the current ability to distribute the load, and the cpu power available
per packet, but once you get into this type of realistic environment,
you really can not perform this type of routing that you are suggesting.

	Even with this state information, if I were a router and spent
all my time comparing both my src and dst within the packet, I would more
than double my forwarding time, and cause undue increased latency.

	Now, given that there are ~4.3B ip addresses, given memory
consumption of lets say 512 bytes per ip, you're talking about 2.1Tb
of memory if you were to do allow every 32 bit ip to be routed
seperateley.

	This is not possible.  This is why aggregation of the
routes, and these tactics are useful, because looking at it from
a common-sense point of view, we are saving ourselves a fair amount
of money instead of asking for a 7200/GSR/M20/M40 that can route
each ip seperateley and on a totally different path.

	Your cost for this box would make it really prohibitive.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net
END OF LINE  |