some implications of provider scaling

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Mon Dec 6 07:18:33 UTC 1999

> Behalf Of Randy Bush, Sent: Sunday, December 05, 1999 11:26 AM

> in the long run, this industry will be owned by a extremely
> few very large
> international players, all or almost all telephants.

I agree. The are many reasons for this, mostly dealing with sunk-cost
infrastructure and capitalization, awa grandfathered rights of way. MHSC.NET
lost its last residential customer, to the cable-modem guys, earlier this
year. We just couldn't touch their price/bandwidth price-point without
becoming a CLEC. I don't want to be a CLEC. MHSC remains an ISP, leaving the
IAP business to someone else.