Power outage in Vienna, Virginia and other things

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Tue Aug 24 09:45:30 UTC 1999

SEAN at dra.COM (Sean Donelan) writes:
>While checking on Vienna, I also found I had problems reaching sites
>in Boston, MA.  Both Tufts University and Boston University are off-net.
>I haven't heard of anything happening in the Boston area.  I know Tufts
>switch providers, but I don't know about BU.  So the information in the
>RADB may not give good information for reaching the correct upstream
>provider.

The sites have come back up, and it appears the former nearnet lost
more customers than I knew about.  Because the new provider doesn't
include information in an public RADB-like database, I didn't realize
all the sites went through the same place.  I was looking for and asking
the wrong provider. UUNET had announced on their maintenance page they are
replacing routers in Boston, MA this morning.  The router maintenance
affected the sites I was using to check for problems: computerworld.com,
tufts.edu, and bu.edu.  I guess its time to look for new beacons.