FW: Tech contact for Qwest?

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Mon Aug 23 10:35:15 UTC 1999

There is one problem for the TELCOM and ISP here. You can't hire an
high-quality engeneer as the phone-support staff; on the other hand, you
sometimes need such engeneer to answer a very complex question from the
customer.

If you know how to provide CCIE ingeneer with such offer - welcome, I do
not know. The only solution I know is to have some development or design
branch and to have some kind of _support duty_ (once a week, for example)
for the people from this branch. If you offer an support work for the
CCIE engeneer (for example) - I do not think you could pick up any for
the any salary (may be I am wrong but it's often when the salary is not
the only think the people are thinking about)...

And this (IP) service is new for the TELCO, and they have a very high
hierarchy structure - and this prevent their customer from any contacts
from their high-skilled engeneers. The bigger is your ISP, the less
chance you have to get high-skilled support for your troubles (except if
you are the Bill Gates yourself and they treat you as a VIP customer).

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Charles Sprickman <spork at inch.com>
> To: fulton at uit.org
> Cc: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: FW: Tech contact for Qwest?
>

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 fulton at uit.org wrote:
>
> > Perhaps if we can get the "higher-ups" to stop hiring noc newbies based on
> > certs and begin hiring based on raw intelligence...then maybe we can get
> > the overall clue factor back to a reasonable level.
>
> That's true I think.  Most of the people I ask questions of posess neither
> a CCIE nor a comp-sci degree.  Some do, but not enough to convince me that
> real-world experience and contact with knowledgeable people isn't a valid
> "education".  How many folks here that consider themselves a "leader" in
> net ops at their place of employ were formally educated?
>
> Charles
>
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Chris Flores wrote:
> > > That's a fairly strong statement to make. Large telcos/ISPs tend to through
> > > "newbie" engineers into situations where a experienced or senior engineer
> > > belongs. Let's face facts - there are not enough IP engineers/technicians to
> > > fill all the needed positions. Companies need to either have more peer
> > > review or expect the "clueless"  attitude toward customers. No one could
> > > expect a entry level engineer to handle complex ISP BGP issues when they
> > > barely understand VLSM/CIDR. The industry is much larger than previous
> > > years(obvious), thus more entry level engineers.

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)