Engineers for the better...

Marcellus Smith marcellus at cw.net
Sun Aug 22 11:29:42 UTC 1999

I agree. The term 'Engineer' is used much to liberally.

After 4 years of Communications in the Army, I was 24 years old as a
Freshman in College. I knew how to think and analyze, but I needed to add
structure to my ability. To have a process for troubleshooting, it didn't
matter if I was working on router problems or a diagramming football plays,
I wanted to do research and develop concise analysis skills and then be able
to convey my findings to someone else. And this what engineering school did
for me.

I think a big part of being an Engineer is being a subject matter expert as
well. Wouldn't you agree? But if you don't know how to explain what you've
learned to someone else, then you're the only one it can benefit. What good
is that?

I have worked with intelligent people over the years, but ask them to
explain something or whiteboard it for you. LOOK OUT!

I don't know about any one else, but when I can explain something to someone
and help them to understand it, then I get a kick out of that. And if alot
of other 'Engineers' would do the same thing then we wouldn't have as many
'Figure-head' Engineers.

Marcellus Smith
Manager - Peering and Field Operations
Cable and Wireless USA