IP Allocations

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri Aug 13 00:56:52 UTC 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Mark Cobb wrote:

> service. I guess that I am looking for an industry guideline as opposed
> to the one that I am trying to use or if I should even care. I use the
> following: 256K = /26, 512K = /25, full T1 = /24, etc..

You should go to ARIN's website and carefully read the policies and other
documents there. Your guideline is completely wrong since it does not take
into account the actual number of IP addresses in use by the customer on
correctly configured equipment. ARIN's policies are all based on the
number of IP addresses actually in use and reasonable projection of the
actual number of IP addresses expected to be in use in the near future.
For specific number and times, you should review the website at
http://www.arin.net

--
Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: michael at memra.com
Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com