IP Allocations

Mark Cobb mcobb at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 12 21:47:45 UTC 1999

I have a question about how much IP space to allocate for downstream
customers. I know that when we want to obtain IP space that we have to
go to ARIN with the proper justification forms to show that we have
effeciently utilized our assigned IP CIDR's and also to verify that they
have been SWIP'd, etc... We also offer transport, so I came up with a
basic "rule of thumb" to use as a guideline. Up until recently, this has
worked fine. Now I am uncertain of what I should do with a customer that
is requesting a /23 CIDR, yet they only have 256K bandwidth. Part of me
says give it to them and let thier customers deal with the service that
they will receive, but then I feel obligated to not support bad ISP
service. I guess that I am looking for an industry guideline as opposed
to the one that I am trying to use or if I should even care. I use the
following: 256K = /26, 512K = /25, full T1 = /24, etc..
Let me know what everyone thinks, is this fair or not, and should I
care??