What frame relay switch is causing MCI/Worldcom such grief?

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Mon Aug 9 12:00:00 UTC 1999

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Alan Hannan wrote:

>   http://cbs.marketwatch.com/archive/19990806/news/current/wcom.htx?source=blq/yhoo&dist=yhoo

What frame relay switch is causing MCI/Worldcom such grief? The above
article contains this statement:

    "From what we know about the disruptions in the U.S., our UUNet is not
     being affected because its network rides on a different platform,"
     Wagner said.

>From what I know of UUNet's frame relay network (which may be woefully
outdated knowledge) they are using Cascade/Ascend/Lucent switches. This
would tend to make one suspect that the problems are associated with
non-Lucent switches rather than being some unusual effect within the frame
relay protocol itself.

Is this another vendor related problem? If not, does it affect NNI
customers of Worldcom?

With the growing profile of MPLS, I suspect that more networks are
planning to roll out frame relay or ATM in their core in which case the
technical facts behind these events should be of great interest to many of
us on this list.

I am less interested in the length of time a network is down and more
interested in why it was down and how other operators could avoid the same
problem.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: michael at memra.com
Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com