gherbert at crl.com
Wed Aug 4 21:42:27 UTC 1999
I thought I'd do a quick status update on the thread
I started a couple of weeks ago.
What happened to my domain had a partial explanation.
It was indeed on payment hold. There had been some
snail mail bills sent (at least allegedly) to the
technical contact's (my) listed postal address,
which I had failed to update following a move 18
There was no good answer from NSI regarding why there
was no snail mail bill sent to the domain's listed
address (which was correct) or no email bill / notice
sent to the listed contacts (which were correct).
Moral of the story: review all addresses, both physical
and email, phone numbers, fax numbers, etc. information
for any domains you are in charge of and make absolutely
sure that *every*single*bit* is 100% accurate. NSI may
be using some of it that you forgot about.
I also question NSI's breadth of notifications; there should
have been email in my case, and probably should have been
snail mail to the domain's address, neither of which happened.
I got a number of stories from other listmembers ranging
from annoyance to horror stories; it is clear to me that
NSI has got procedural problems and insufficient information
flow to customers set up. I would like to state clearly,
however, that once I was able to get through to NSI's
phone support staff in person we had it fixed within
20 minutes and that their staffer was polite and helpful.
There was no email response after several days of inquiries,
and the question of how they should have sent notifications
is an open one.
-george william herbert
gherbert at crl.com Disclaimer: I do not work for CRL.
More information about the NANOG