Paul A Vixie: BIND 8.2.2 (T3B; RC0) is available for general testing
Paul A Vixie
vixie at mibh.net
Tue Aug 24 07:07:21 UTC 1999
------- Forwarded Message
To: bind-announce at isc.org
Subject: BIND 8.2.2 (T3B; RC0) is available for general testing
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:01:59 -0700
From: Paul A Vixie <vixie at bb.rc.vix.com>
Confidence: moderate. This is running on part of F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET and
on all of our local production servers. The only reasons it's not a full
release candidate are that IXFR is still disabled and we're still tinkering
with the NT support.
Highlights vs. BIND 8.2.1:
Preliminary support for Windows/NT (thanks to BayNetworks).
More fixes, especially to DNSSEC, TSIG, IXFR, and selective forwarding.
More portability improvements and lint removal (A/UX 3.1.1, SCO 5.0).
Better NOTIFY behaviour, especially with large update volume.
Better UPDATE handling, including SRV RR support and RFC compliance.
Fix for "ndc reload ZONENAME" (specific zone reload) problems.
Fix for round robin when multiple CNAMEs are in use.
New "min-roots" (MINROOTS) and "serial-queries" (MAXQSERIAL) options.
Log files are no longer auto-rotated every time the server starts up.
New "ndc reconfig" command only finds new/deleted zones, no stat()ing.
New global options for "update-source" and "also-notify".
$GENERATE now supports more record types, and options.
the distribution files are:
the pgp signature files are:
the md5 checksums are:
top of CHANGES says:
--- 8.2.2-T3B released ---
783. [support] make res_send() more friendly to the java scheduler.
782. [support] dangling cnames aren't errors, stop logging them.
781. [support] add -n option to ndc command, to run nonstandard named.
780. [bug] UPDATE did not support the AAAA RR.
779. [bug] miscellaneous IXFR fixes.
778. [support] don't complain to syslog about negative caching RRs.
--- 8.2.2-T2B released ---
777. [bug] getword() didn't increment lineno at EOF.
776. [bug] the NOERROR_NODATA cookie overlapped a valid rcode.
775. [protocol] we weren't sending properly formated FORMERR responses.
774. [bug] UPDATE did not support the SRV RR.
773. [bug] named-xfer was calling inet_ntoa in one printf.
772. [typo] Typo in ns_parser.y on maybe_zero_port: line.
771. [lint] UNLINK performs a INIT_LINK so explicit INIT_LINK's
are nolonger needed after UNLINK.
770. [protocol] dynamic update prerequisites were inappropiately
matching wildcards, at variance with RFC 2136.
769. [bug] ordering of CNAMES was driven by original query type.
768. [support] MINROOTS is now a configuration option "min-roots".
767. [clarity] adjust XFR log messages to be more clear about cause.
766. [support] add "serial-queries" option to dynamify MAXQSERIAL.
765. [feature] added evInitID() and evTestID() for NOTIFY work.
764. [bug] DNSSEC changed the semantics of match() without
changing all the call sites that cared about it.
763. [bug] NOTIFY events caused by dynamic update weren't being
deferred, and multiple NOTIFY events weren't being
762. [support] don't rotate log file versions on server startup.
761. [port] named-xfer's openlog() was unconditionally using the
LOG_CONS option. now it does what named does.
--- 8.2.2-T1A released ---
760. [port] preliminary win/nt from baynetworks (thanks!)
759. [support] new compile time option BIND_IXFR, defaults to "off",
since our testing has shown up some problems with it.
758. [feature] new "ndc reconfig" command only finds new/gone zones,
doesn't stat() master files or qserial() slave SOA's.
757. [support] FORCED_RELOAD is no longer optional.
756. [support] fixed output format of hmac keys; removed DST chaff.
755. [feature] "also-notify" is now a global option.
754. [bug] the control socket was not checked for event lib
753. [feature] "ndc help" now returns one line command summaries.
752. [feature] "ndc trace" now takes an optional "level" argument.
751. [support] debugging output could segfault in ns_print.c::addstr.
750. [port] A/UX 3.1.1.
749. [port] #9 has now been done for all Makefiles.
748. [feature] "transfer-source" is now a global option.
747. [support] SORT_RESPONSE is no longer a compile time option, since
the behaviour can be turned off at runtime with the
"rrset_order fixed;" option.
746. [bug] don't bother rescanning the interfaces if setuid!=root.
745. [protocol] IXFR transmission was just plain wrong in some cases.
744. [support] allow the calling location of strings to be recorded.
743. [feature] $GENERATE now supports more record types, and options.
742. [port] port/sco50 was using /usr/local/etc for its ndc socket.
741. [port] HPUX needed __BIND_RES_TEXT.
740. [bug] #634 had the unfortunate side effect of disabling IXFR.
739. [port] probe for IPv6 structures, solaris openbsd freebsd
738. [bug] invalidate pointers back into linked list when element
737. [port] solaris: expr is sensitive to LC_COLLATE
736. [bug] potential single file descriptor leak opening
735. [bug] memory leak: having rrset-order set and reconfiguring
the server results in a memory leak.
734. [port] linux only fills in as many entries as will fill the
buffer with SIOCGIFCONF.
733. [bug] RD is not being set on first message to first forwarder
resulting in false "Lame Server" reports and degraded
732. [bug] errors reading keys from master files could cause the
the server to drop core.
731. [bug] highestFD was not reflecting the highest value the
library could cope with.
730. [port] rand() does not modify the LSB on BSD based systems.
729. [bug] allow-query responses were dependent upon cache
728. [bug] it wasn't possible to specify the flags of trusted keys
in hex, which was inconvenient since dig prints hex.
727. [bug] TSIG keys weren't properly shared with named-xfer if
the zone named contained a slash (/).
726. [bug] TSIG keys weren't reloaded correctly with 'ndc reload'.
725. [bug] only the first key in an acl was matched correctly.
724. [bug] "ndc restart" needed a short delay before checking
for the health of a newly started name server.
723. [bug] TSIG signed zone transfer failed on especially
722. [doc] the example named.conf file had invalid TSIG usage.
721. [bug] duplicate records were tripping the cname-and-otherdata
test, which wasn't necessary since they'll be ignored.
720. [port] solaris doesn't have gethostid() the way we build.
719. [lint] lots of lint fixed by bob and paul.
718. [bug] multiple CNAME support was not cycling the cnames in
an RRset properly.
717. [bug] wrong /bin/ps flags in solaris prand_conf.h. minor
tweak to ports/prand_conf/prand_conf.c to ensure proper
flags in future ports.
716. [bug] log files are now closed/reopened on a size basis.
715. [clarity] root servers don't need to be primed.
714. [typo] extra "q" in a message in ns_maint.c.
--- 8.2.1 released ---
------- End of Forwarded Message
More information about the NANOG