Contact handles disappearing mysteriously from the whois database!

Dean Robb pceasy at norfolk.infi.net
Thu Apr 29 00:46:08 UTC 1999

At 05:00 PM 4/27/99 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
>I have done database conversions many times in my carreer and while I have
>always written the code to do a one way conversion I have also always made
>provision for rolling back the database to a prior state even when that
>meant logging transactions so they could be reapplied after a rollback.
>Most of the clients I have done database work for rely on their databases
>for the mission critical infrastructure of their business and cannot
>accept failures like this. Where there is a will there is a way to prevent
>buggy conversions from corrupting your database.

Maybe I'm missing something...and I'm NOT a software engineer...but what's
wrong with simply backing up your current system before making changes?  It
*should* be getting backed up anyway, but is there some reason that you/NSI
can't back up the database and the DB software and simply restore it if
your changes don't work right?

"Let there be light!"...and God invented Thomas Edison.

Dean Robb
Owner, PC-EASY
(757) 495-EASY [3279]
On-site computer repair, upgrades and consultations
Lead SimOps columnist/reviewer on http://WWW.TheGamers.Net