Above.net off the air

Vijay Gill wrath at cs.umbc.edu
Wed Apr 28 02:28:43 UTC 1999

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Sean Donelan wrote:

> >floating a "ha ha look - Abovenet crashed!" message on the NANOG
> >mailing list.
>
> Could be a few different reasons.
>
>    a) Curiousity
>    b) Concern it may have a root cause shared by other providers
>    c) Lack of notification via formal channels
>    d) Spite
>    e) All of the above

or a combo of b) and f) A fairly large network goes down, which could lead
to priceless operational experience on bootstrapping from scratch.  Avi
already mentioned dampening issues with the SPF calculations.  And how to
architect this to prevent meltdown in the future.  Partitioning the IGP
areas, etc etc etc.

Of course my original message was very badly phrased and for that I
apologize.

/vijay