Contact handles disappearing mysteriously from the whois database!

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Tue Apr 27 23:22:25 UTC 1999

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

> > First, there is a bug in the whois generation code that generates the
> > indexes that whois uses. The information is still correct in the database
> > that whois is generated from. The fix is in QA now and should be in
> > operations shortly.
>
> you have the gall to spend time ensuring that it will work before deploying
> it?  while all of us out here who paid $35 are waiting for the absolutely
> mission critical whois service without which our lives can not continue!
> what nerve!

I find it rather curious that QA procedures were not in place to prevent
the bug from happening in the first place. I also find it curious that
there are no rollback procedures in place to recover quickly from a bug in
generating whois data. For example, most network operators store their
router configs in a revision control system and can quickly rollback to a
previous config when changes go awry.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: michael at memra.com
Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com