address spoofing

Andrew Brown twofsonet at graffiti.com
Fri Apr 23 23:29:21 UTC 1999

>> Furthermore, whether the RFC [1918] says so or not, I'm going to block
>> these packets at *my* border routers, because:
>
>Curious as to the cost (added latency) in doing RFC 1918 source address
>filtering on all packets in the context of cost-benfit analysis.

on a router that's not doing filtering, it's going to be a small hit.
i'm going to infer, however, that any router that's not doing
filtering is probably not doing much traffic.  and any router that is
doing a lot of traffic, is already doing filtering.  so it's less of a
hit.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior at daemon.org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet