Peering Policies

Tim Wolfe tim at clipper.net
Thu Apr 22 22:03:32 UTC 1999

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> At 01:40 PM 4/22/99 -0700, Tim Wolfe wrote:
>
> > How does this figure into the future political and
> >technical growth of the net?  Wouldn't this type of apathy tend to push
> >toward government involvement in this industry?
>
> Are you insane? I ask that semi-jokingly, but on the serious side,
> "government" involvement in a capitalist environment has traditionally
> stifled technical growth, and subsequently revenue.
>
> I can only suggest that true capitalism can solve this problem in the
> long run. If one provider can't live up to their SLA, change providers.

Please allow me to clarify.  I am not by any means advocating goverment
involvement.  Perhaps my question came across as a desire which was not my
intent.  I merely wondered if anyone had worries that this type of issue
would cause the less clued to push for government involvement (assuming the
less clued person doesn't already work for the government..)

Sorry for the confusion.

Tim

Timothy M. Wolfe       | Why surf when you can Sail?
tim at clipper.net	       | Join Oregon's Premier
Sr. Network Engineer   | Wireless Internet Provider!
ClipperNet Corporation | http://www.clipper.net/