Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

Gary R Wright gwright at connix.com
Wed Sep 30 21:54:02 UTC 1998

Karl Mueller writes:
> Clearly, .COM is used for criminal and malicious activities.
> I propose that we remove it due to abuse.

This points out the legal ambiguity of the global top-level domains.
At least with the .to domain it is clear who is responsible for
the domain.  With .com, .net, etc. the name space crosses legal
boundaries inviting all sorts of legal confusion.  The legal
situation could be clarified considerably if the gtld's were moved
under the country code domains.

Certainly the legal confusion surrounding the gtld's shouldn't
be used as a rational for not developing a process (which is
what Barry suggested) for attending to problems associated with
the country code domains.