It's 1998; do you know where your packets are?

Barry L James bjames at terraware.net
Wed Sep 30 23:39:43 UTC 1998

	This isn't entirely operational in nature, but if true does
somewhat have an impact on what we are operating.  You can find the
entire text at www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/15295.html
but here are a few snippets to give you an idea of what it's about.

"In October, Europe's governing body will commission a full report into
the workings of Echelon, a global network of highly sensitive listening
posts operated in part by America's most clandestine intelligence
organization, the National Security Agency. "

"Echelon is reportedly able to intercept, record, and translate any
electronic communication -- telephone, data, cellular, fax, email, telex
-- sent anywhere in the world. "

"Echelon intercepts Internet traffic at the transport layer, such as the
TCP/IP layer, so the system doesn't care too much what it is or where it
came from," said Pike. "For analog traffic, such as telephone
conversations, it uses automatic voice-recognition technology to scan the
conversations."

Seems far fetched (but not *that* far), but worth a read.

Barry

---
Barry L James       \  \  I have known them all already, known them all.
Mendicant            \  \  I have known the mornings, evenings, afternoons.
www.terraware.net     \  \  I have measured my life with coffee spoons.
blj at terraware.net ____/   \________________________ T.S. Eliot