Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

Alex "Mr. Worf" Yuriev alex at netaxs.com
Wed Sep 30 22:18:50 UTC 1998

> But as part of the whole picture, that Tonga's domain seems to be used
> as nothing but a "safe harbor" for porn sites engaged in criminal
> activity and even their own supposed govt consulate comes up as an ad
> for a software company etc, it would seem to indicate that this
> domain, .to, is not being used as a legitimate country TLD, is not
> being managed by the people it was assigned to for the purpose it was
> assigned, etc.

The simple question here is: who are you to tell a sovereign country what
it can and what it cannot do?

Re: ineffectiveness of international treaties. I beg to differ. The odds
are that if one attempts to mess with computers not just located in
outside US borders but operated by or on the behalf of the foreign
government (no matter if we think that a clown and/or a scam artist
operates it), one would quickly end up in the middle of a something that
US Department of State would be handling. Remember, if those people are
operating on the behalf of the government and are making money on it, they
do have an ear of whoever awarded them the contract.

Alex