InterNIC modification

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Mon Sep 28 21:15:30 UTC 1998

On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 11:14:42PM -0400, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
> I've found that on changes to domains for which I'm already a contact,
> setting my authentication to CRYPT-PW works well, causing changes to be
> completed within hours.
>
> Note that CRYPT-PW apparently only refers to how the passwords are stored
> on the InterNIC's servers; they're sent in plaintext when you e-mail the
> form.

Well, you know... no.

I've seen the mail generated when you fill in the webform, and choose
CRYPT-PW.  The CGI script encrypts the cleartext password, and that's
what's in the field in the email when it's mailed to you for
forwarding.

Whether they intend for you to cut it out and save it for future
mailings or what I've never been sure...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     "The net is safer in bad weather: you
The Suncoast Freenet               can't run a backhoe
Tampa Bay, Florida     in a hurricane."  (after Sean Donelan)  +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com