Your class 'B' address space

Mark Vickers mvickers at real.com
Mon Sep 28 18:14:31 UTC 1998

Let's add a little spice to you list...run it up the flag pole etc... but
please let's deal with this professionally with out to much flame!

My goal is to ensure the network meets the business objective of our
company, not simply to debug traffic etc. In order to do this I need
redundant connections to multiple ISP's, and a method for delivering delay
sensitive traffic in the most efficient way possible.
The above implies BGP.

I've applied to ARIN for a number block large enough to ensure
routablility, and have been rejected.  This leaves me with three
alternatives, please correct me if you see any another alternatives. First,
we can attempt to buy address space which may or may not be transferable,
or more likely we acquire a small company, and/or it's assets, one of which
just happens to be a large chuck of address space. Second, I can do the
time proven technique of lying about how many hosts I have or how many I
plan to have, this I find uncomfortable as I think it is dishonest! I'd bet
at least one of the readers of this list has exaggerated about how may
hosts they have in their network, or how many they planed to have on a
template, so don't be to quick to grab for the high moral ground!! Finally,
I can appeal ARIN's decision, which I have already requested from IANA, and
was told to request an appeal from hostmaster at ARIN.net. I'm still waiting
to here something.

On appeal I plan to quote RFC2050 which according to the ARIN web site is
what they use make allocation descions.  Basically I think ARIN procedures
only take into account network size, and nothing else. I don't think
RFC2050 language is that strict.

Please see item '3b' below:
"In order for the Internet to scale using existing technologies, use of
regional registry services should be limited to the
assignment of IP addresses for organizations meeting one or more of the
following conditions:

a) the organization has no intention of connecting to the Internet-either
now or in the future-but it still requires a globally
unique IP address. The organization should consider using reserved
addresses from 1918. If it is determined this is not
possible, they can be issued unique (if not Internet routable) IP addresses.

b) the organization is multi-homed with no favored connection.

c) the organization's actual requirement for IP space is very large, for
example, the network prefix required to cover the
request is of length /18 or shorter.

All other requesters should contact its ISP for address space or utilize
the addresses reserved for non-connected networks
described in 1918 until an Internet connection is established. Note that
addresses issued directly from the
IRs,(non-provider based), are the least likely to be routable across the
Internet.
"

Also, from 3.1 "utilization is a key factor" implying it's not the only
factor.

"
3.1 Common Registry Requirements

Because the number of available IP addresses on the Internet is limited,
the utilization rate of address space will be a key
factor in network number assignment.
"

Basically our normal output traffic is about 45mb/s with a peak as high as
67.6Mb/s during Clinton's shinangians, we've been listed as the 16th
busiest web site in the world, and I think that ought to count toward
getting a routable address space!!!

I also wonder if there aren't free speech issues involved if US entities
start dropping traffic based on non technical factors?

I welcome any suggestions you may have as to how I can archive my goal of
obtaining an address block big enough to implement BGP succesfully.

Thank You

Mark Vickers
RealNetworks, Inc.

"