WEATHER: update Puerto Rico/South Florida

Paul G. Donner pdonner at cisco.com
Sun Sep 27 12:52:29 UTC 1998

WRT South Florida, the eye of the storm passed directly through Key West.
Key West sustained the largest and most serious amount of damage to personal
housing and public infrasturcture due to the high winds and coastal flooding.
Rains were remarkably light for a hurricane.  Marathon Key (heavily
populated)
sustained probably the second serious damage after Key West.  Access to the
keys was essentially opened yesterday and the flow of those returning
produced quite a traffic jam.

Key Largo and Florida City (just on the mainland) sustained some damage and
flooding.  A number of power outages reported in Miami-Dade county due
mostly to wind.  Phone outages were on the light side.  Miami-Dade
metropolitan area was spared.

Not aware of any reported deaths at this time.  I must say that the response
by the local folks and the government was quite excellent this time.  I
think they've learned their lesson from Andrew.  Have to give a big hand to
the National Hurricane Center also.  I remained on-line via POTS during the
entire storm (in Dade County) watching the satellite photos and reports.

US1 was flooded in various points along the keys.  Any serious network
outages will probably be observed in the keys and particularly Marathon
and Key West.  I believe though, that the bulk of comm goes via the keys
microwave transport though at some points it may be ground based.