Your class 'B' address space (fwd)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Sep 26 15:21:28 UTC 1998

I don't have an answer to your initial question, but I would say that getting
this email-to-address list would be easier than getting a list of contacts for
domain names.  There are a limited number of IPv4 addresses, and out of that
list it's an even smaller pool that are announced.  Simply culling a routing
table and performing lookups on the addresses would provide such a list in
fairly short order, and inverting the search would give you the addresses
which
are NOT announced (with some unknown aggregation problems making an inverted
list slightly more difficult, admittedly.)

This table would have _extremely_ limited direct marketing value, since
most of
the people to whom mail would be directed would a) be clueful enough to
recognize attempts such as the one below as pandering and against the ARIN
charter, and b) be quite angered at the use of ARIN/RIPE/APNIC data in such a
way and would probably engender a significant negative backlash (as I expect
should and will occur to the folks at Real Audio, if the included is an
authentic message.)

So, to get back to NANOG charter material:

  What, if any, action can ARIN perform to prevent address space buy/sell
arrangements?  Is it an issue of making information about address owner
contacts more difficult to get?  This seems like it would be not very
effective
in the first place, and impedes people who are trying to do their jobs (e.g.:
network diagnostics, bad route announcements, etc.)  Does ARIN have any direct
control over route announcements?  No, not currently, but should they? (hoo
boy
- I'm donning the ceramic jumpsuit for that question... ;)  Should ARIN get a
consensus with "larger" North American NSPs to refuse or sink a route
announcement from an unauthorized source to enforce policy through blackhole
tactics?  If RPSL is the answer to this problem, are there any intermediate
measures that should be taken before that mechanism [is|is even] accepted and
implemented?  What _is_ an unauthorized source?

  What do RIPE/APNIC do when presented with the problem of unauthorized
buying/selling of address space?

JT

SABNIS at ccsalpha2.nrl.navy.mil,