And we thought the text part of the Starr Report would be bad

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Wed Sep 23 23:59:54 UTC 1998

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 10:43:02PM -0400, Robert Szarka wrote:
> >	For modem to modem communications, start and stop bits were used
> >	up through 2400 baud when one bit = one tone.  The method of one
> >	bit = one tone was dropped for other forms of encoding when modems
> >	started supporting connection speeds in excess of 2400 baud.
>
> I assume you mean 2400 bps modems, i.e., v.22bis?  Admittedly, it's been a
> while since I used one, but my recollection is that 2400 bps modems operate
> at 600 baud, with 4 bits/baud using QAM.

This matches my recollection.  I think it was 1200 bps that was the
last 1 bit per baud modem.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     "The net is safer in bad weather: you
The Suncoast Freenet               can't run a backhoe
Tampa Bay, Florida     in a hurricane."  (after Sean Donelan)  +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com