Whois on CDROM

Chris Carrie cjcarr at inert.net
Wed Sep 23 02:48:50 UTC 1998

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Lloyd Taylor wrote:

> A publisher in Hawaii is preparing to release the 'whois' database
> on CDROM.  These are apparently the folks who got cut off by InterNIC
> because of their massive download of whois records.

Correction.

They *were* planning to release the whois database on CDROM. That is,
until the story got posted on http://slashdot.org and they got hit by the
"Slashdot Effect".

They now have a message posted on their website:

--------
Formal announcement from Domains on Disc.
Tuesday, September 22nd, 1998 4:10PM PDT

Due to the overwhelming amount of e-mail that we have received, Domains on
Disc has decided to indefinitely suspend the sale of this product. It has
never been our intention to have this product used as source for
Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

To this date, no CD's have been pressed or shipped.

We regret any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Please feel free to contact us, should you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Domains on Disc

--
Chris Carrie