How to loadshare over many E1 links

Geoff Huston gih at telstra.net
Mon Sep 21 09:51:49 UTC 1998

At 11:10 AM 9/21/98 +0200, Simon Leinen wrote:
>> How would you loadshare over many (>6) parallel E1 links. [...]
>> I've been thinking om something similar to the Larscom inverse MUX
>> (http://www.larscom.com/t3ft3/t3_megae.htm), but this one only support
>> 4 E1's, then I can use multiple i-mux's and loadshare over the 8M links
>> they provide, but it seems like a poor solution.
>
>We use Larscom Orion 4000s for 6 transatlantic E1 links.  The E1 cards
>have eight ports, with HSSI connections to the routers (75xx).
>You can look at the actual throughput under
>http://www.switch.ch/lan/stat/linkusa.html

We loadshare using Larscom Orion 4000's using 16 x E1's, configured
in a pair of parallel 8 x E1 I-Mux configurations. Behind the
Larsecomm units are cisco routers. The configuration is stable,
and loads evenly over both 16M circuits.

Its not a trans-Pacific STM-1 I admit, but it does the job well and
has done for some two years now.

   Geoff Huston
   Telstra