The Cidr Report

Brian Dickson briand at teleglobe.net
Tue Sep 15 00:48:22 UTC 1998

>Anyone care to comment on the fact that the top non-compliant companies
>never really seem to make any significant changes?
>
>>  --- 11Sep98 ---
>> ASnum    NetsNow NetsCIDR  NetGain  % Gain   Description
>> AS174        789      611      178   22.6%   Performance Systems International
>> AS2493       373      217      156   41.8%   iSTAR Internet, Inc.

Well, two things: (1) PSI acquired iSTAR; (2) most of the clueful people
had left or have left iSTAR (myself being one). I have no specific knowledge
of PSI's clue quotient, per se.

Also of note: all of iSTAR's unaggregated routes are below 206.0.0.0/8,
in geographically-assigned /16's (ie, some /24's belong to iSTAR customers,
some to customers of other providers), where the %gain is achieved by
aggregating in variable-length clumps (eg /23's, /22's, etc), at iSTAR's EBGP
borders, since these are not aggregatable internally.

And yes, iSTAR does redistribute its IGP into BGP, but only because Cisco's
IOS has a limit (200) on how many "network" statements can exist in a router,
which is exceeded by their NetsCIDR. :-(
--
Brian Dickson,                                    Email: briand at teleglobe.net
Teleglobe USA, Inc.,                              Tel  : +1 703 821 4818