The Cidr Report

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Sep 14 00:30:21 UTC 1998

On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 04:44:11AM -0400, Brian Wallingford wrote:
> John M. Brown wrote:
> >
> > Why should they, there is no reason for them to.  Personally I wonder what
> > would happen if we (the rest of us) started filtering on /19's or /20's :)
>
> Not to rehash, but there are legitimate reasons to advertise /24's.  I'd
> say that filtering at that level would be reasonable.  What bothers me
> is seeing certain networks advertising an aggregate along with all or
> most subnetworks.  Being flexible with one's downstreams is one thing,
> irresponsible adverts are another.

	I scan the Cidr report weekly as it comes to nanog, and
look for particulary bad problems and e-mail their upstreams
asking them to filter.

	uunet is bad at taking care of these, but ANS has been
great at filtering people (won't cite the cases) that are their
customers and getting them to fix people who appear on the list.

	I would recommend doing that, if they (The AS contacts) and
providers get enough complaints (just like what needed to happen w/ spam),
they will do something.

	- jared