Flash crowds and network management

Leo Bicknell bicknell at dimension.net
Sun Sep 13 21:27:03 UTC 1998

In article <6thaou$rhd at gizmo.dimension.net> you write:
>I'd like to chat someday with the webserver managers at some of
>the large media web farms someday, not necessarily with a reporter
>listening in, about what they were seeing.  But at the moment there
>isn't a real good way for us to communicate in real-time about what
>is going on.

	Well, it's not quite talking to them, but CNN's web site
does have an interested tidbit in it.  See
http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9809/11/internet.congestion/index.html
for the whole story, here's the interesting paragraph:

              At CNN's Web site, CNN Interactive, the number of hits
              peaked at an estimated 340,000 per minute, eclipsing all
              previous traffic volumes. To ease the crush, CNN.com
              stripped out pictures and graphics to present a text-only
              version.

	That's 5600 hits a second, for those who don't want to
fire up bc.  Not bad.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at dimension.net
Network Engineer (CCIE #3440) - Dimension Enterprises
1-703-709-7500, fax, 1-703-709-7699