NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

Chris Cappuccio chris at empnet.com
Thu Sep 10 15:25:09 UTC 1998

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> 	I'm an idiot, teach me to work late at night.  Of course the
> phone numbers are in the rwhois database, I just overlooked them.
>
> 	In any event, I have two URL's for you:
>
> http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/rwhois.cgi
> http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/rwhois.txt
>
> 	The first is a web script you can run and get pretty web
> output.  Browse whois data in a clickable fashion.  The second is
> a link so you can download the script itself and run it on your
> own web server.  There is an added bonus to this method, if you
> invoke the script from the command line yourself it prints output
> that looks just like whois.  It does not understand the "whois"
> syntax, unfortunately, but a straight query like "./rwhois.cgi
> dimension.net" will return the expected output.  This allows you
> to drop in an rwhois client where you need to parse whois style
> output.
>
> 	I'm still having a problem where I get connection refused
> far too often running this script.  At the moment I'm not sure if
> it's a perl bug, an mod IO::Socket::INET bug, a busy server, or
> programmer error.  If you figure out how to fix that please let
> me know.

Actually,

root.rwhois.net.        891     A       198.41.1.7
root.rwhois.net.        891     A       198.41.1.6

This is your problem:

twist:chris {149} telnet 198.41.1.7 4321
Trying 198.41.1.7...
twist:chris {150} telnet 198.41.1.6 4321
Trying 198.41.1.6...
Connected to 198.41.1.6.
Escape character is '^]'.
%rwhois V-1.5:003eff:00 root.rwhois.net (by Network Solutions, Inc.
V-1.5.2rri-dl)

> 	I'm curious if anyone will find this useful, and/or if I
> just duplicated stuff that was already available.  If it is useful
> I can probably extend it more, right now it's pretty utilitarian.

Except for the server that doesn't answer, I think rwhois is much more
useful because it is definitely faster and doesn't give me messages
like:

*
* WELCOME to InterNIC Registration Services
*
* Sorry, the system load is temporarily too heavy.
*
* Please wait a while and try again.  Thanks
*

---
http://www.adbusters.org/