NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

Leo Bicknell bicknell at dimension.net
Thu Sep 10 03:45:38 UTC 1998

	I'm an idiot, teach me to work late at night.  Of course the
phone numbers are in the rwhois database, I just overlooked them.

	In any event, I have two URL's for you:

http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/rwhois.cgi
http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/rwhois.txt

	The first is a web script you can run and get pretty web
output.  Browse whois data in a clickable fashion.  The second is
a link so you can download the script itself and run it on your
own web server.  There is an added bonus to this method, if you
invoke the script from the command line yourself it prints output
that looks just like whois.  It does not understand the "whois"
syntax, unfortunately, but a straight query like "./rwhois.cgi
dimension.net" will return the expected output.  This allows you
to drop in an rwhois client where you need to parse whois style
output.

	I'm still having a problem where I get connection refused
far too often running this script.  At the moment I'm not sure if
it's a perl bug, an mod IO::Socket::INET bug, a busy server, or
programmer error.  If you figure out how to fix that please let
me know.

	I'm curious if anyone will find this useful, and/or if I
just duplicated stuff that was already available.  If it is useful
I can probably extend it more, right now it's pretty utilitarian.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at dimension.net
Network Engineer (CCIE #3440) - Dimension Enterprises
1-703-709-7500, fax, 1-703-709-7699