MAE-EAST / MAE-WEST Interfaces

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Sat Sep 5 00:36:36 UTC 1998

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Scott, Dan wrote:
> NO OC-3 (minimum) connection to the existing FDDI system??   value of
> location just dropped considerably.

Well, on the positive side it's a clean break.

We are participating in the MAE-WEST ATM trial.  Traffic volume by peer is
good (comparable or better than MAE-WEST) and we aren't seeing any loss.

My biggest concern with the MAE ATM product is the lack of marketing.  I'd
like to see a public list of participants online, in a similar manner to
Pac Bell NAP or Ameritech NAP.  That way potential participants could see
that somebody was already there (sure, you could do a dig in-addr.arpa,
but it isn't the same with ATM because you can't know for sure who is
actually online or just thinking about it).  It's almost like Worldcom
expects it to sell itself or is indifferent to potential customers.

In any case, our experiences with MAE-WEST ATM are good enough that we are
looking at MAE-EAST ATM.  I'd sign up today if I knew who was operational
there, but I some how just can't seem to find a corresponding web page
like the good old http://www.mfst.com/MAE pages.

Mike.

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 408 282 1540 |
| Hurricane Electric      Web Hosting & Co-location        Fax 408 971 3340 |
| mleber at he.net                                           http://www.he.net |