NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Sep 3 19:48:19 UTC 1998

You are saying that "pummelling the database resources" for marketing info
is bad. I presume by pummeling, you mean doing whois queries.  Of course,
if the database is sold on a CDRom by NSI, then there is no wasted network
resources, and hence no "pummeling"

While I agree that network whois queries to NSI for marketing information
may not be appropriate or at the least, the best use of resources, I don't
see that using the information (after appropriately obtaining it) for
marketing purposes is wrong.  Culling contact information for marketing
products is no different than getting conference attendee lists for
marketing purposes.  Thats just how the system works.  You need the
marketing information on new products as badly as the companies need to
distribute information on their products to make sales.

I think the problem of whois database ownership is important because of the
potential for unfairness on the part of NSI.  Everyone should have equal
access to the information.  If ESnet gets the whole database in a day, and
smaller providers get partial access in a say, a week, or not at all, that
is a big source of unfair competitive advantage.  That should not be
allowed to happen.

		--Dean

           Plain Aviation, Inc                  dean at av8.com
           LAN/WAN/UNIX/NT/TCPIP          http://www.av8.com