Crazy flying netbios packets

Eric Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Thu Sep 3 13:32:46 UTC 1998

At 02:59 PM 9/2/98 -0600, Pete Ashdown wrote:
>Has anyone done any estimates on how much net-wide traffic is useless
>netbios udp?

No.  But then again, theres a lot of useless traffic, i.e. Phlegm-ings
rants currently on the ietf list (at least he's not on NANOG, whew)

>Are there any suggestions for cutting large chunks of this
>out of my network without punishing SAMBA and other users who need it?

1.	Implement WINS within the organization and set the netbios node type to
h node (0x8)  This will force the 		netbios stack to use a wins lookup and
then a lookup via broadcast.
2.	Implement WINS within the organization and set the netbios node type to
p node (0x4?)  This forces the 		client to ONLY use the WINS server.  Note
every server has to be registered in the wins database.

Neither of these affect DNS resolution.

Also, try blocking udp and tcp ports 137, 138 and 139 at your borders.
Wins, properly implemented, can eliminate about 90%+ of useless name
resolution traffic.

Anxiously waiting for Fraziers Linux response :)

Eric

  Eric Germann                                        CCTec
  ekgermann at cctec.com                                 Van Wert, OH 45891
  http://www.cctec.com                                Ph: 419 968 2640
                                                      Fax: 419 968 2641
         Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
                     A Microsoft Solution Provider