NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

Dan Watts dwatts at vitts.com
Wed Sep 2 18:27:08 UTC 1998

At 11:20 AM 09/02/1998 -0500, Derek Balling wrote:
> <<..SNIP..>>
>It's a customer service issue... We are all (I assume) customers of
>InterNIC. We pay them money for domain name registrations, and they are in
>turn supposed to provide reliable whois service (among other things, of
>course). If they're finding that load on the whois server is higher than
>they expect, they might consider (a) finding WHY it is that high? are there
>people like my old employer out there doing whois requests to get a single
>field from a number of sites, (b) allow others to volunteer to host the
>data and serve up requests.

Why not use rwhois and distribute the load like DNS is?  Let registerants
decide if they want to provide rwhois support for their own domain(s) or
if they want to delegate the task to the InterNIC to handle it.

Gee... imagine being able to update data about your DNS domains immediately
instead of having to wait for the InterNIC to process the request.

Just my $0.02.

--
Dan Watts
Vitts Networks