NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

Michael L. Barrow mlbarrow at eni.net
Wed Sep 2 15:32:02 UTC 1998

Christopher K. Phillips wrote:

> I may be wrong but aren't the fees that Network Solutions is charging for
> domain name registration "supposed" to cover the costs of providing WHOIS
> service for those domains? Is this just another attempt to nickel and dime
> everyone to death on some sort of new usage charge for WHOIS service?

Who said anything about usage charges? It looks like the proposed work
mentioned by David Holtzman is to control _abuse_ of the whois service.
Otherwise, the load on whois will grow without bounds and we'd
eventually have to pay more in registration fees. Of course, that's just
my figurin' and nothing official...

--
Michael L. Barrow * <mlbarrow at eni.net> * Network Engineer
Epoch Internet    * DSL Engineering    * (949) 399-8413