NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

Christopher K. Phillips ckp at vanion.com
Tue Sep 1 22:41:26 UTC 1998

At 05:03 PM 9/1/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Network Solutions has been seeing increased traffic on whois
>in the last few months.  The number of queries has approximately
>doubled each month since June.  At this time, 40% of our inbound
>http traffic is whois related.  In an attempt to alleviate some
>of the load on the servers, we have taken the following steps:
>
>    - Some of the worst offenders (single site, large number of accesses)
will
>be blocked from access starting this week
>    - Replication of the whois data will be started earlier in the evening
>allow for more timely updates
>    - Existing whois hosts have had processor and memory upgrades
>    - Local file storage is now being used vice NFS
>    - Medium-term and long-term development efforts are underway to redesign
>whois for optimal performance.  This includes in-memory searches, better
>parsing and dynamic updates obviating the need for large daily data
movements.

>_____________________________________
>David H. Holtzman (dholtz at internic.net)
>Sr Vice President of Engineering
>Network Solutions, Inc.

I may be wrong but aren't the fees that Network Solutions is charging for
domain name registration "supposed" to cover the costs of providing WHOIS
service for those domains? Is this just another attempt to nickel and dime
everyone to death on some sort of new usage charge for WHOIS service?

Christopher K. Phillips
President - Vanion, Inc.
V: 719-574-1826 F: 719-574-1837 C: 719-229-7890