2U chassis (was Linux Router Kit)

Geoff White geoffw at precipice.v-site.net
Sat Oct 31 19:21:25 UTC 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Adam Rothschild wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Geoff White wrote:
>
> > We are trying to roll our own server/router/accounting box and
> > have everything speced out but the chassis, we need to find a PC rack
> > mount chassis that is no higher than 2U ( 3.5"). The co-los we use charge
> > us not only by bandwidth but by real estate, we need to cram as many boxes
> > as we can in the space. In fact if you know of a 1U (like the cobalt
> > boxes) that would be even better. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Whoa, that would be awfully tight.   If I were you, I would
> simply pay for extra rack space, and get an Appro (www.appro.com) NITEO or
> 42xx...

If I use a mother board that has Ultra2 scsi and 10/100 all on board I
don't need anything else, theese are servers, I don't need sound cards,
framebuffers, or anything else, just space for two 4 Gig disks

The units that mention 5 slot passive backplanes... can I still put an ATX
formfactor motherboard in the bottom?