UU Net sales tactics?

Dan Hollis goemon at sasami.anime.net
Wed Oct 28 22:37:09 UTC 1998

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Bret McDanel wrote:
> ---Reply on mail from John Golovich about UU Net sales tactics?
> > Has anyone else received a phone call from a UUnet salesman out of the blue?
> > It appears that he used the Boardwatch magazine, because he quoted me some
> > information out of it about my company.
> Yup, and he was VERY demanding in his statements about how they have the
> *BEST* network compared to anyone else, and how they offer better service,
> and the price difference isnt an issue :)

The UUnet rep who called me was also insistent that UUnet had the best
technical support in the industry. I indicated to him that I had dealt
with UUnet tech support in the past and was _not_ impressed[1], and was
met with about 30 seconds of stunned silence. B)

-Dan

[1] The industry as a whole seems to have horrible tech support though.
    Without exception, _every single NOC I have dealt with_ has been
    _pathetic_. Especially on critical issues like denial of service
    attacks.