Linux Router KIT

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Wed Oct 28 23:11:37 UTC 1998

At 04:26 PM 10/28/98 -0500, Adam D. McKenna wrote:
>So does linux.
>
>Linux can be:
>
>A packet forwarder (router)
>A packet filter (firewall)
>An IP masquerading packet filter (NAT firewall)
>Can run RIP, BGP, EGP, OSPF (via gated)
>
>Maybe I'm being naiive here, but what does Cisco offer beyond this (besides
>the availability of higher performance)?

Appliance level reliability, like a toaster. Plug it in, turn it on,
configure it once, forget it exists. That's why we moved our printers to a
dedicated print-server (OSIram), from the Linux hosts.

Actually, a cisco may actually double as a toaster, a foot-warmer at the
least <grin>.

BTW, I thank the list for the kind help offered with our Linux NIC routing
problem. It's still not solved, but we've been otherwise $distracted$. I
plan on implementing some of the suggested solutions this week. Again, the
issue is fall-back if our switch goes out again. For this sort of usage,
Linux routing is far cheaper than keeping a cisco laying around.

If the switch goes off, the lights go out, and the party's over. Linux
routing would keep minimal lights on so the party could continue.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/