Linux Router KIT

alex at nac.net alex at nac.net
Wed Oct 28 22:46:58 UTC 1998

Lots of types interfaces? EIGRP? Things that Linux/PC does have is Hard
drives that fail, etc; I guess you could do a flash thing, though. Other
protocols, like IPX, Dec, ATalk, etc are not going to happen.

Also, for a long time, Linux had a hard time with lots or routes.

If you are going to use a PC as a router, use an Unix that has real net
code, like xBSD.

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Adam D. McKenna wrote:

> So does linux.
>
> Linux can be:
>
> A packet forwarder (router)
> A packet filter (firewall)
> An IP masquerading packet filter (NAT firewall)
> Can run RIP, BGP, EGP, OSPF (via gated)
>
> Maybe I'm being naiive here, but what does Cisco offer beyond this (besides
> the availability of higher performance)?

> > Linux doesn't just kill Microsoft's NT and Solaris. It also eats
> > Cisco for lunch.
>
> This isn't true.  IOS does a lot more than just get packets from
> interface A to interface B.  (In terms of managability as well as
> functionality)

   ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs.  October 26-28, 1998, Atlanta, GA.
    Three days of clues, news, and views from the industry's best and
    brightest. http://www.ispf.com/ for information and registration.

     Atheism is a non-prophet organization. I route, therefore I am.
       Alex Rubenstein, alex at nac.net, KC2BUO, ISP/C Charter Member
               Father of the Network and Head Bottle-Washer
     Net Access Corporation, 9 Mt. Pleasant Tpk., Denville, NJ 07834
 Don't choose a spineless ISP; we have more backbone!  http://www.nac.net