Linux router (don't laugh) WAS:Re: test

John Fraizer John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net
Wed Oct 28 20:11:44 UTC 1998

At 11:32 AM 10/28/98 -0800, you wrote:

>You have two problems with this and they're both PC hardware-based.
>1) IRQs are limited, if you subvert the printer and COM IRQs and have a
>single SCSI card for your disk (and the required SVGA display controller),
>you can use IRQ 3,4,5,7,11,12,14,15. This will max you out at 8 NICs on a
>linux box. Each NIC must have its own IRQ.

Survey says, "BUZZZZZZZZ"

>From http://www.adaptec.com/products/datasheets/quartet.html

"Hardware Interrupts:
    PCI interrupt A, supports shared interrupts"

>So, if you are only doing 10baseT, you can have a mix of ISA/PCI NICs for a
>maximum total of eight NICs before you start running into serious hardware
>limitations. For 100baseTX you have a maximum of four NICs. Total cost
>should be under $900US, if you are running Linux, plus the time it takes to
>configure this mess (about three daze [call it a week]).

3 hours, includes: unpackaging all raw components, building system,
installing the OS, setting up routing table and ipfwadm rules, installing
ssh, and making the box basically secure.

Then again, I build them on a regular basis.

-------
John Fraizer                      |    __   _
The System Administrator          |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/         | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
                     A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...